Robotic surgery offers a minimally invasive approach to hysterectomy and other procedures such as fibroid removal, endometriosis surgery, endometrial/cervical cancer surgery, and vaginal/uterine prolapse.
For years, the standard approach to hysterectomy has been traditional open gynecological surgery--using a large incision for access to the uterus and surrounding anatomy.
Using the da Vinci® robotic surgical system, surgeons at Palmetto General Hospital can perform hysterectomy through small incisions, using mechanically-enhanced micro instruments.Robotic surgery is designed to operate with greater control to minimize the pain and risk associated with large incisions while increasing the likelihood of a fast recovery and excellent clinical outcomes.
Some examples of minimally invasive gynecologic surgery include:
- Hysterectomy for benign conditions
- Hysterectomy for early stages of gynecologic cancer
- Myomectomy to remove uterine fibroids
- Sacrocolpopexy to correct vaginal/uterine prolapse
Potential patient benefits may include:
- Less need for pain medication
- Less blood loss and fewer transfusions
- Fewer complications and lower conversion rate
- Shorter hospital stay
- Quicker recovery and fast return to normal daily activities
- Small incisions for improved appearance