Body Mass Index
- Heart disease
- Type 2 diabetes
- Sleep apnea
- High blood pressure
- Certain cancers
How to Use the BMI Calculator
- Enter your height and weight into the calculator and select Calculate.
- Compare your result to the National Institute of Health table:
Adult BMI Category Below 18.5 Underweight 18.5 – 24.9 Normal 25.0 – 29.9 Overweight 30.0 and above Obese
Calculator LimitationsThe BMI calculator is a helpful tool for most women and men, with the following exceptions:
- Athletes with a muscular build may show exaggerated BMI
- Older people or people who have lost muscle may show lower BMI
- Different interpretations apply for children and teens than adults
Weight loss surgery is generally designed for those with a body mass index (BMI) equal to or greater than 40, or equal to or greater than 35 with serious co-morbidities. Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding with the Lap Band® is also FDA-approved for weight loss surgery in people with a BMI of 30 to 35 who have at least one obesity-related condition. Weight loss surgery is considered safe, but like many types of surgery, it does have risks. Consult with your physician about the risks and benefits of weight loss surgery.